Americans are increasingly interested in healthy food that is locally grown. Sprouts are the ultimate healthy, homegrown plants, rich in nutritional and environmental benefits. Here are the top 10 reasons to make sprouts part of your healthy diet.
1. Sprouts have up to 100 times more enzymes than other raw vegetables and fruits. Enzymes are a type of protein that serve as catalysts for bodily functions. They help extract more vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids from foods we eat.
2. Sprouts are grown from beans, nuts, seeds and grains. During sprouting, the proteins in those foods change and improve in nutritional value.
3. During sprouting, the fiber content of foods increases. Fiber is important in weight loss, and in detoxifying the body.
4. Sprouting increases the vitamin content of foods, especially vitamins A, B-complex, C and E. Vitamin content can increase as much as 20 times within just a few days of sprouting. Vitamin B1 content increases as much as 285 percent, vitamin B2 up to 515 percent, and niacin up to 256 percent.
5. Most of us are deficient in essential fatty acids, and eating sprouts is a great way to get the EFAs you need.
6. Sprouting increases the bio-availability of minerals, particularly alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium that help balance our bodies.
7. When you grow your own sprouts, you are ensuring you won’t be eating pesticides, food additives, or other harmful chemicals.
8. Sprouting ignites the energy in foods. When you eat sprouts, you are consuming live, vital foods that support your own energy process.
9. Sprouts make your body more alkaline, and excess acidity in the body has been shown to make us vulnerable to cancer and other illnesses.
10. Unlike many healthy, organic foods, sprouts are very inexpensive.
10. Sprouts are inexpensive. People frequently use the cost of healthy foods as an excuse for not eating healthy. But, with sprouts being so cheap, there really is no excuse for not eating healthier.